HIPAA Compliance & Cloud Backup: What You Need to Know
HIPAA is a high level standard that defines rules about how “Individual identifiable health information” needs to be protected by health care providers.
Where HIPAA Applies To Cloud Backup
When it comes to online backup, HIPAA only applies where you back up patient information that may be stored in files or databases. When evaluating a cloud backup provider for HIPAA-sensitive data, the most important question that you need to ask yourself is:
- What is the possibility of a data breach, and how serious is your backup provider about protecting your information?
Data Breach Risk – What You Need To Know About Your Data’s Security
Independent of HIPAA, KineticD knows how important your sensitive data is to the future of your business. That’s why we surround all your information with the most stringent safety measures on the market, such as:
- Secure Data Center: Your data is stored within the shelter of a SSAE 16 certified data center.
- Data Encryption During Backup: During the backup process, all your files are first secured with a 448-bit Blowfish encryption key, and then transferred to our data center using a secure SSL connection.
- Physical Security: KineticD servers are located in a Tier 3 data center protected by gated perimeter access, 24/7/365 on-site security and technicians, electronic card key access, and strategically placed security cameras inside and outside the building.
- Remote/Offsite Backup: KineticD is an automated remote/offsite backup service. A key component in any disaster recovery plan includes protection against hardware failure, theft, virus attack, accidental deletion, and natural disasters.
- Logical Access: Your backed-up data may be accessed via the web-based KineticD administrative console by supplying a valid password.
- Written Contingency Plan: The HIPAA Security rule requires that covered entities have a written contingency plan for responding to system emergencies, including a detailed plan concerning the data backup and recovery process in the event of a disaster.
To learn more about how KineticD supports HIPAA compliance, download the free KineticD HIPAA Compliance White Paper.